Residential Housing and Dining Policies

The housing and dining policies listed below pertain to all students residing in MIT Undergraduate, Graduate, and Family Housing unless designated as specifically pertaining to Undergraduate Housing (UG) or Graduate Housing (GH).

Air Conditioners
Alterations & Additions
Assignments (UG)
Bed Bugs
Canceling Your Housing Assignment
Check-out Procedures
Commercial Use
Discipline Procedures
Fees (UG)
Fire & Life Safety
First-year Residency Requirement (UG)
Graduate and Family Housing License Agreement (GH)
Hazardous Materials
Health, Safety & Sanitation
Housing and Dining Agreement (UG)
Mail and Package Delivery
MIT ID Cards
Motor Vehicles & Parking
Mural Policy (UG)
Ninth-Term Housing (UG)
Occupancy Period (UG)
Personal Property
Pest Control
Pro-Rating Rent (UG)
Return from Approved Program Away (UG)
Return from Off-Campus or FSILG Housing (UG)
Right of Entry
Sexual Misconduct
Students with Disabilities
Summer Housing (UG)
Taking Leave (UG)
Temporary Overflow Housing
Transition to MIT Graduate Program in Spring Term (UG)
Unauthorized Occupancy
Undergraduate Housing
Vacancies (UG)
Weapons & Dangerous Objects


Air Conditioners

Air conditioners (A/C) are permitted in most residence hall rooms in which windows are double hung and where the A/C can be safely and structurally supported. All air conditioner installations MUST be approved and then inspected by the House Manager or mechanic. Residents are required to submit a request to install an A/C unit via the housing repair web site.

Residents who have air conditioners installed are required to submit a request to have it removed before they move out of their room. This can be done via the housing repair website.

Alterations & Additions

Before any alterations are made to a living space, the resident must meet with the House Manager or Area Director to discuss changes and alterations. Each house government develops its own guidelines for materials that may be displayed within the residence. In general, residents are not permitted to:

  • alter or add to any part of the building structure or mechanical and electrical systems
  • place, affix, hang, or extend any materials on any exterior surface of an MIT residence, including rooftops.

Exception: During undergraduate orientation (the period between August 15 and undergraduate registration day), communities are permitted to safely affix banners to their residence hall with the approval and assistance of the Area Director. All banners must be safely removed on or before undergraduate registration day.

Assignments (UG)

Assignments or reassignments to a residence hall, changes from one residence hall to another, or changes from an Institute residence hall to an off-campus address, are made and approved by the Housing Office.

Room assignments and room changes within an MIT undergraduate residence hall are the responsibility of the student government of that residence in consultation with the Head of House and House Manager. No assignment is final until approved by the Housing Office.

The Housing Office reserves the right to move students at its discretion in order to consolidate or fill vacancies [especially if crowding exists], to meet the demands upon facilities, to reconcile personal problems, to resolve conflicts and discipline issues, or for similar reasons. The Housing Office also reserves the right to make specific assignments in cases that it deems special or extraordinary, such as those involving medical or personal problems, etc. In such cases, guaranteeing the students’ right of privacy and confidentiality may require direct assignments overriding House lotteries.

See also: Students with Disabilities

Bed Bugs

If a resident suspects there are bedbugs in their room, they should report it IMMEDIATELY to the House Manager. The House Manager will contact an exterminator to investigate what insects are present and determine what treatment is needed. They will also advise residents on what steps they should take to ensure any insects do not remain in their belongings.

The Housing Office will inspect all rooms above, below, and to either side of the affected apartment or student room to ensure the problem is contained.

See also: Pest Control


Residents are not allowed to block or obstruct halls, stairways, handicap ramps, or other means of access with bicycles. Check with your House Manager to learn more about bicycle storage facilities within each residence hall.

Canceling your Housing Assignment

Undergraduate students wishing to cancel their housing assignment should vist the Cancel Your Assignment webpage for specific instructions, deadlines and cancellation fee information.

Graduate students who wish to cancel their housing before or after the housing allocation process should visit the Change or Cancel webpage for specific instructions, deadlines and cancellation fee information.

Graduate students who are graduating, or wish to terminate their housing before the end of their license, should visit the Moving Out webpage for more information.

Check-Out Procedures

Before a resident vacates a room or apartment, they must:

  • clean it and return it to the condition it was delivered on the day they moved in (this includes replacing any furnishings removed at any time during the year)
  • have the room or apartment inspected by the appropriate residence hall staff, if there is a concern about damage charges
  • lock the door and return all keys to the front desk, or as directed

If a resident fails to complete any of these check-out procedures, they will be charged rent up to the day when all keys have been returned to the front desk. If keys are not returned, residents will be charged a$150 lock replacement fee.

If a room requires additional cleaning, or has excessive damage, resident will be charged a fee no less than $200.

Commercial Use

Residents are prohibited by law from conducting a business operation or other commercial activity from within any MIT residence hall. Residents are also prohibited from using an MIT mailbox, telephone, or Internet service for commercial purposes.


Dining options and meal plans are available to all students. Students living in Baker House, Maseeh Hall, McCormick Hall, Next House, and Simmons Hall are required to enroll in one of the meal plans designated specifically for their residence hall and number of semesters completed at MIT. All students who enroll in a mandatory or voluntary meal plan are subject to the House Dining Meal Plan Terms and Conditions.

For more information, please visit the Dining website.

Discipline Procedures

Conflicts and policy violations occur within MIT residence halls. Depending on the issue, there is a spectrum of resolution options available to residents involved--the person or people who caused harm and/or violated a policy and those affected by their actions. The spectrum spans from informal to formal in terms of involvement of others and action taken to resolve the issue.

Refer to Student Conflict Resolution and Discipline at MIT to learn about additional options for resolving discipline cases.

Fees (UG)

Undergraduate students who live in Institute housing are required to submit a MIT Housing and Dining Agreement, the signing of which indicates that the student has read, and agrees to abide by, the “Residential Housing and Dining Policies”. Students who fail to comply with the policies stated in this document are subject to the following fine[s]:

  • Missed Cancellation Form deadline (after June 15 for fall term; after December 1 for spring term): $250 

  • Failure by upperclassman to take a confirmed room assignment by 4:00 pm on Registration Day: $500 and loss of assignment unless otherwise arranged in conjuction with the Housing Office
Unauthorized early return/late move out: $595
  • Cancellation of assignment after the start of the academic term: $250 plus payment of pro-rated rental charge
  • Failure to submit renewal Housing Agreement or Cancellation Form during renew/cancel period: $250
Late Summer Housing Cancellation Deadline: $250

Fire and Life Safety

Students are prohibited by Massachusetts law and MIT regulations from committing fire and safety violations, including but not limited to:

  • setting a fire, making a bomb threat, issuing a false alarm, failing or refusing to evacuate during a fire alarm
  • tampering with firefighting equipment, fire-alarm systems, fire protection sprinklers, or smoke detectors
  • using flammable decorations, including natural evergreens, in any room, corridor, stairwell, lounge, dining hall, lobby, or other public area
  • using non-flammable decorations without the approval of your House Manager
  • using a fireplace in a manner that does not comply with MIT guidelines
  • placing objects in any exit or on fire escapes
  • entering or occupying the roof of any residence except in areas designed for, and approved by, MIT for assembly use
  • using or burning candles or incense
  • possessing or using microwaves, toaster ovens, or other cooking devices in student bedrooms
  • possessing halogen lamps

Students may be subject to severe disciplinary action if they violate any Massachusetts law or MIT fire safety regulation.

Fire Alarms

When a fire alarm is activated in a residence hall, residents are required by law to evacuate to their designated meeting points. If responding fire fighters see people that have not evacuated, it is within their power to charge those who have not evacuated with a crime. Institute policy is to evacuate immedidately, NOT to fight fires.

Emergency Plans

Each residence hall has a detailed emergency preparedness plan that includes information on fire alarms, evacuations, evacuation meeting points, shelter-in-place instructions, fire marshals, and other items. Copies of these plans can be obtained from the Director of Housing Operations.

Basic evacuation information is also posted on the back of every bedroom door and each elevator or stairwell where no elevator exists. Area Directors and Graduate Resident Tutors (GRTs) who reside in the halls are trained annually in MIT fire safety practices. 

First-Year Residency Requirement

First-year students are required to live in one of the eleven on-campus Institute residence halls. The Housing Office may grant an exemption from this policy to a first-year student in special circumstances upon submission of a petition. Exemptions are considered for freshmen who wish to commute from their family’s home, or who are married. Petitions for freshmen requesting to live off campus will be reviewed by a Senior Associate Dean for Student Life and a Senior Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education.


Residence Hall Rooms

All rooms in MIT residence halls--with the exception of rooms in graduate residence halls Eastgate, Westgate, and Edgerton--are furnished with:

  • bed and mattress (twin extra-long, 30"W x 80"L)
  • dresser and/or wardrobe
  • desk, chair, bookshelves (lamps are not provided)

Residents are responsible for the furniture supplied in the room. Students may not remove furniture from their rooms or move furnishings from one residence hall room to another. Residents will be responsible for any damage or loss of furniture supplied in the room.

Common Areas

Students may not remove furniture from a residence hall lounge or apartment common area. Residents will be responsible for any damage or loss cuased to common areas, including furnishings, vending machines, and other equipment placed in the residence hall for the use of residents.

Graduate and Family Housing License Agreement (GH)

All students/MIT affiliates who are currently or newly assigned to a MIT graduate or family residence hall are required to electronically sign a Graduate Housing License Agreement. This serves as an agreement that the student has read, and agrees to abide by, the “Residential Housing and Dining Policies,” and is liable for the rent for the stated period while he or she is a resident.


A guest is someone (MIT or non-MIT affiliated) who does not live in the residence hall they are visiting. Residents are permitted to have guests in their residence, including the common areas of the residence hall, under the following conditions:

All Guests

  • Guests are required to present a valid MIT, school or government-issued photo ID at the front desk of any MIT residence hall.
  • Residents are prohibited from giving guests their room/apartment keys or MIT ID card at any time.
  • Residents and guests in undergraduate residence halls are required to follow the guest policies and procedures for the specific residence hall they wish to visit. Individual guest policies and procedures for each community can be found on the Residential Life & Dining website.
  • Residents are responsible for the conduct of their guests at all times.

Overnight Guests

  • Residents may not have overnight guests for more than three nights in a seven-day period. Some residence halls may have an overnight guest policy that may be more restrictive. It is the resident's obligation to check with the House Team (Head of House, House Manager or Area Director) to determine if specific policies exist, and to abide by all applicable policies.
  • Residents must obtain, in advance, the permission of all students of the room/suite in which the overnight guest is visiting or staying. Consideration should be given to the rights and reasonable expectations of a roommate(s) at all times.
  • Sleeping overnight in the public common areas of a residence hall (e.g., lounges) is prohibited.

Hazardous Materials

The possession, manufacture, storage or use of hazardous materials in residence halls, FSILGs, and other areas where appropriate MIT Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) safety precautions are not in place is prohibited.

Prohibited hazardous materials include, but are not limited to:

  • hazardous chemicals
  • biological materials
  • radioactive substances, lasers (class 3b or class 4)
  • ammunition
  • explosives (inlcuding firecrackers and missiles)
  • flammable materials
  • accelerants
  • gas grills
  • hibachis
  • charcoal grills or lighter fluid
  • gasoline
  • flammable liquid
  • gas-powered equipment
  • propane cooking equipment*

Gas Cylinders

Students are prohibited from receiving, possessing, storing or using any gas cylinder (including, but not limited to, liquid nitrogen, helium, nitrous oxide) in any MIT residence hall. If a student attempts to purchase these materials without prior approval from EHS, the order will be cancelled and the cylinders confiscated. Students may be subject to severe disciplinary action as stated in the MIT Policies and Procedures.

* See also: Propane

Contact EHS at 617-452-3477 if you have any questions concerning the above restrictions on hazardous materials.


MIT prohibits hazing by individuals or groups and defines it as follows: Any action or activity that is reasonably likely to, or is intended to, endanger the physical or mental health of a person for the purpose of initiation, admission into, affiliation with, or as a condition of continued membership in a group, organization, or living community. This definition shall apply regardless of location or consent of participants. Hazing includes, without limitiation, behaviors that violate Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 269, Sections 17-19.

To read the Institute's full policy on hazing please see the Mind and Hand Book.

Health, Safety & Sanitation

Residents are expected to maintain living areas, including kitchens and bathrooms, in a safe and sanitary condition.

If these standards are not maintained, the Residential Life & Dining staff may have the area cleaned as needed to maintain safe and sanitary conditions. The cost of cleaning will be billed to the appropriate residents. If unsanitary conditions continue, Residential Life and Dining staff may close the affected area.

Students are prohibted by the City of Cambridge Health Code from cooking (using heating elements such as microwaves, toaster ovens, hot plates, coffee machines, etc.) in a residence hall room, except in those areas specifically designated as kitchens. City of Cambridge inspectors are authroized to close a residence if flagrant and/or continual violations occur.

Housing and Dining Agreement (UG)

All undergraduate students who are currently or newly assigned to a MIT campus residence hall are required to electronically sign a Housing and Dining Agreement. This document serves as an agreement that the student has read, and agrees to abide by, the “Residential Housing and Dining Policies," and is liable for the rent for both the fall/spring semesters while s/he is a resident.

An assignment is not valid until the student completes the confirmation form and receives a copy by email in return. It is the student's responsibility to see that this entire process is completed.


Each resident is provided with a room/apartment/suite key(s) upon move in to the residence hall, which they are responsible for returning when they move out at the end of the academic year.

Keys will only be issued to the student assigned to a specific room. MIT staff are not permitted to issue a key to a friend, family member, or designee. Students are prohibited from giving their keys to anyone else.

Residents are prohibited from duplicating room, apartment, or house keys, or posssessing a master key. Residents may be subject to severe disciplinary action for unauthorized use of keys.

All lost or presumed stolen keys should be reported to the House Manager or Area Director immediately. At that time, all locks accessible by that key will be rekeyed as soon as possible. Residents will be provided with a new key(s) with no additional charge once. After the first request, the resident may be charged a $150 lock replacement fee.

All keys issued at move-in must be returned to the House Manager--or as directed--upon checkout or the resident will be charged a $150 lock replacement fee.

For more information, please read the Key Control Policy on the Residential Life and Dining website.


Lofts are prohibited in all MIT residence halls except Burton Conner, East Campus, Random Hall and Senior House. If a student wishes to construct a loft, he/she must submit construction plans to the House Manager for review and approval of structural adequacy.

All lofts must comply with the following requirements:

  • Loft may not be attached to building components or be enclosed with drapes, curtains, or doors to ensure residents are visible in the event of a building fire search.
  • The structure of a loft must have smooth surfaces with no protruding nails, bolts, or angled forms.
  • No electrical wiring or lighting fixtures may be attached to a loft structure, as required by electrical code.
  • Lofts cannot shield or block sprinklers.
  • “Coffins” are prohibited.

Completed lofts are subject to final inspection and approval by the House Manager. House Managers may consult with the Environmental Health and Safety Office to confirm regulations covering location, height, and size.

Mail and Package Delivery

Every room and suite in an MIT residence hall has a separate locked mailbox, which is typically located near the House Manager’s office. Mail and packages should be properly addressed in order to reach its recipient:

Student Name

Residence Hall Name and Room Number

Residence Hall Street Address

Cambridge, MA, 02139

MIT takes reasonable precautions to safeguard over-sized packages delivered to students at their residence halls but shall not accept responsibility for lost, stolen, or mis-delivered parcels to the extent permissible by law. When a student moves from their residence hall, they are required to leave a forwarding address at the building's front desk.

MIT ID Cards

MIT ID cards are required to gain access to all MIT residence halls. MIT ID cards are also used to access house dining halls, can be used for Dining Dollars and TECHCash, and in some cases serve as a student's subway and bus pass.

Students are prohibited from giving their MIT ID card to anyone else.

Students who lose their MIT ID card, or have it stolen, should follow the procedures for card deactivation on the MIT Card Services website. They should also report to the card office (located in the basement of W20) to obtain a replacement.

For specific policies related to lost or stolen ID cards and house dining/meal plans, please vist the ID Cards section of the Dining website.

Motor Vehicles & Parking

Students are discouraged from bringing cars to MIT due to the scarcity of parking spaces on campus, but some permits may be available. For more information, please visit the MIT Parking Office website.

Mural Policy (UG)

It is MIT policy that painted murals, or anything that is placed on the walls of any building on the MIT campus, must not contain harassing material which includes images or language that reasonable persons would find offensive or which would reasonably interfere with other residents' or guests' enjoyment of the facilities. This policy applies to murals in public spaces. Murals must comply wth the MIT Mind and Handbook, individual dorm policies and MIT policies and procedures, including MIT's Non-Discrimination Policy, Policy against Racist Behavior and Harassment Policy.

View the complete Murals in Undergraduate Dormitories Practices and Policies

Ninth-Term Housing (UG)

Eligibility for residence in MIT undergraduate housing ends at the close of the eighth semester as a registered MIT student (excluding summer terms) or upon graduation or termination of MIT student status, whichever comes first.

Time spent away from the Institute counts toward those eight terms if they are still a registered MIT student. Examples include Junior Year Away, Domestic Year Away, approved transfer to another institution, or co-op programs. 

Students requesting a ninth term of housing must apply at https://odysseyhms-web.mit.edu/hmswebstudent. All requests for housing past a student’s eighth registered term will be reviewed and approved by the Housing Office.


Each living group within a residence hall determines any enforced quiet hours. However, all students have the right to object to noise that prohibits them from studying or sleeping, or that is audible well beyond the individual's room.

If a resident is being disruptive and ignores any reasonable request or complaint to address it, they may be subject to disciplinary action by the residence hall's student government and/or the Division of Student Life.

Occupancy Period (UG)

Returning undergraduate residents may move into their rooms on the Saturday prior to the fall term Registration Day. Residents participating in Orientation Week activities may return earlier only with approval from the Housing Office.

Occupancy ends at 12:00 pm on the Sunday following the last day of the scheduled spring term final examination period for all students except those graduating. Graduating students must move out by 12:00 pm on the day after Commencement. If students wish to occupy rooms later than these dates, they must make prior arrangements with the Housing Office and additional costs may be incurred.

Fall term occupancy ends on January 3rd. Students leaving school, or Institute housing, must vacate their rooms by this date. Exceptions must be approved by the Housing Office.

Personal Property

MIT assumes no responsibility for loss or damage to personal property. This includes, but is not limited to, loss by fire, theft, unexplained disappearance, spoilage, water, or malfunction of electrical or mechanical systems. Residents are strongly encouraged to obtain insurance to cover personal property if the homeowner’s insurance carried by a resident's parent/guardian does not cover their property.

MIT may remove, dispose of, or destroy, and will not be responsible for, any personal property not removed from student housing within 48 hours after the termination of the Graduate License Agreement or Housing and Dining Agreement, including, without limitation, early termination due to withdrawal, expulsion, or violation of MIT policies.

Pest Control

If a resident believes they have seen any evidence of a rodent, insect or other pest, in their living space or in the public spaces of residence halls, they should report it immediately to their House Manager.

Residential Life & Dining staff make every effort to keep the residence halls pest free, however residents can do their part by:

  • Keeping all food in sealed containers made out of plastic, metal or glass
  • Maintaining their rooms in sanitary condition (i.e. removing trash on a regular basis, limiting clutter, etc.)
  • Disposing of or storing all open containers of food or leftovers immediately following consumption

See also: Bed Bugs


Pets are prohibited in any undergraduate or graduate residence hall unless specifically notified otherwise. The term “pet” includes mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians. Residents are permitted to keep fish unless specifically notified otherwise.

Upper-class students in the following residence halls may be eligible to participate in a program that allows a very limited number of cats to be kept in certain residence halls. Find out more about the program New opens in<br />
new window.

  • East Campus
  • Random Hall
  • Senior House

Residents requiring accompaniment by a service dog first must obtain permission from Student Disabilities Services to keep the dog on campus. If a roommate is accompanied by a dog, and a resident is not comfortable with this arrangement, a transfer will be allowed.


Due to safety concerns, the use of propane cooking equipment in residence halls, FSILGs, and other areas where appropriate EHS safety precautions are not in place is prohibited.

To read the Institute's full policy on propane, please see the Mind and Hand Book.

See also: Hazardous Materials

Pro-rating Rent (UG)

If a student leaves an undergraduate residence hall or is assigned to the system after the beginning of the term, rent will be pro-rated. Stays of more than two weeks will be prorated over fifteen weeks of occupancy consistent with the Cancellation Policy. For example, a stay of three weeks would result in a charge of one-fifth of the term rate, and so on.

No refunds will be made for students who leave during or after the last week of classes or who are removed from housing for disciplinary reasons. For purposes of pro-rating, occupancy is considered to begin when a student moves in, or in the case of residence continuous with a previous term, the day following the last day of occupancy for the previous term.


Residents are permitted to keep a refrigerator in their room and in some lounges. Refrigerators must be kept in sanitary condition at all times, including during vacation periods. The type and placement of a refrigerator is subject to inspection and approval by the House Manager.

Refrigerators that use sodium dioxide or ammonia as a refrigerant are prohibited.

Return from Approved Program Away (UG)

Students wishing to return to MIT undergraduate housing after an approved program away may notify the Housing Office before leaving on such a program. On-campus housing is guaranteed to students who are returning from an approved program away who lived on campus the term prior to leaving for their program.

Return from Off-Campus or FSILG Housing (UG)

Return to MIT undergraduate residence halls is not guaranteed for students who leave housing to pursue other off-campus living opportunities, including those who ask for a return to housing within their eight semesters of eligibility. Students who wish to return to on-campus housing must complete a Housing Request Form and join a waiting list. Waiting lists are satisfied in the order of application date.

Right of Entry

MIT recognizes that entry into your private living space is a serious matter, and we endeavor to respect your privacy to the greatest extent possible. Because on-campus residence halls are MIT property however, authorized MIT personnel have the legal right to enter MIT student housing under certain circumstances.

Although MIT will usually give reasonable advance notice prior to entry, the Housing Office, Area Director, House Manager, Head of House, and their agents and contractors, as well the MIT Police, shall have the right to enter MIT student housing at any time when it is determined there might be risk to life, safety, health, or property, or as necessary to ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, and all applicable MIT policies and Residential Housing and Dining policies. Entry without advance notice is also allowed for maintenance services requested by a resident of the room, as outlined in the maintenance request form.

The Housing Office, Area Director, House Manager or Head of House reserve the right, with advance notice to Licensee whenever reasonably possible, to inspect the condition of an MIT student housing unit generally and for fire and health hazards; to make repairs, installations, additions, or alterations to the MIT student housing unit or to the building; to remove placards, signs, fixtures, alterations or additions to the premises; and to respond to any other conditions which are in violation of the standards outlined in the Housing Agreement.

Sexual Misconduct

MIT is committed to providing a productive living and learning community in which students can pursue their educational goals. Sexual misconduct undermines this commitment and affects the ability of students to focus on their educational achievement. Therefore, MIT will not tolerate nor condone any form of sexual misconduct. 

To read the Institute's full policy on sexual misconduct, please see the Mind and Hand Book.


A City of Cambridge ordinance establishes the following requirements for MIT residence halls:

Smoking is prohibited in all areas of MIT residence halls, including student rooms, hallways and lounges, except as noted below.

  • Smoking is permitted in private residences (e.g., Housemasters' apartments) and student rooms of certain residence halls if all of the students are smokers and request in writing that smoking be permitted in their rooms. Please note: Only students living in East Campus and Senior House are able to smoke in their individual rooms.
  • In rooms where each resident has agreed that smoking will be permitted, a smoking agreement form must be filled out by each individual in that room.

Anyone who violates this policy will be subject to discplinary actions under the procedures applicable to him or her as a student at MIT.

Students with Disabilities

If a student is in need of accessible housing due to a disability, medical documentation to support the request must be provided to the Student Disabilities Services Office (SDS). SDS works with the Housing Office to ensure all approved accommodations are met.

If a student does not need accessible housing but is assigned to an accessible room, the Housing Office reserves the right to relocate the resident if the space is needed for a student with a disability.

Summer Housing (UG)

On-campus summer housing is available to current full-time MIT undergraduates on a space available basis. Recently graduated seniors may also apply for summer housing but are only eligible to stay until June 30.

Undergraduate students who are not eligible for registration in the fall are not eligible for summer housing in the residence halls. Students who, during the summer, become ineligible for fall registration must move out of their summer assignment upon notification of their change in status.

Eligible students may apply for the entire summer session. There will be no other prorating of partial stays.

  • Summer housing begins immediately after the last day of finals and is continuous through fall Registration Day for students who have a current on-campus spring assignment and are planning to return to on-campus housing in the fall semester (approximately 15 weeks).
  • Students who do not have a current spring term assignment will move in on the designated move-in date in May or June, and must move out by the designated move-out date in August.

The charge for late cancellation of summer housing is $250 if cancellation is received prior to the beginning of the summer housing period.  After the start of summer housing, no refunds will be administered.

Wellesley undergraduates are eligible for summer housing if they are taking courses at MIT. If a Wellesley student is participating in a UROP, they must apply for summer guest housing.

Taking Leave (UG)

Students take leave from MIT for several reasons.  Most requests for leave are processed by Student Support Services (i.e., voluntary leave, medical leave) or are voted on by the Committee on Academic Performance (i.e., required leave).

  • Students who have taken leave and are not registered are required to vacate their on-campus housing assignment within 72 hours following official leave.

  • Housing is not guaranteed to students who are returning to MIT from leave. However, every effort is made to give preference to returning students who have left for reasons beyond their control.  

  • The Housing Office coordinates with Student Support Services to determine the priority and necessity of housing for all students returning from leave.
  • As soon as students have made the decision to return to MIT, they are encouraged to apply for return housing by submitting the Housing Request Form.
  • Once the Housing Request Form is submitted, students will be placed on a waiting list for the semester in which they are planning to return. If space is available, students will be assigned to housing in August if returning for the fall term, and in January if returning for the spring term. These assignments will be available just prior to Registration Day. 

Temporary Overflow Housing

At times, it has been necessary to designate some rooms as temporary overflow housing. This means that more students are assigned to these rooms than they were originally designed to accommodate.* This usually affects first-year students in some of the larger rooms. 

  • The rent for residents living in rooms with overflow is reduced accordingly.
  • When vacancies do open up, students in overflow spaces are given priority over students in non-overflow spaces. (Vacancies are always filled in accordance with the room assignment policies of each individual residence.)
If one student in a room with overflow elects to move to a permanent space, the rent for the students remaining reverts to the full rate.

  • Residents may be required to move to permanent spaces if vacancies exist in their residence hall.

*Current assigned occupancy still meets all applicable federal, state and local laws regarding occupancy numbers and room size.

Transition to MIT Graduate Program in Spring Term (UG)

Undergraduate students who receive their degree at the end of the fall term, and who are continuing as graduate students at MIT for the spring term, may remain in undergraduate housing for the spring term with permission from the Housing Office.

Students must be within their eight terms of housing eligibility to qualify. A student who has been disqualified, or withdrawn, and who is petitioning this decision should notify the Housing Office at once.

Unauthorized Occupancy

You are prohibited from occupying a room or apartment at MIT without an assignment from the Housing Office. If student has a housing assignment, they cannot trade places with another person, or assign to another room, regardless of whether the other person lives on- or off-campus. Violators will be subject to disciplinary action and/or have their housing assignment cancelled.

Residents are prohibited form subletting, transferring, assigning or sharing a room with anyone who is not assigned to that room.

  • Graduate students are permitted to sublicense their rooms during the summer or during IAP. Learn more at the graduate housing Sublicense Center.

Undergraduate Housing

Only registered MIT undergraduate students and transfer students are eligible for Institute housing. Spouses, children or other relatives are not eligible for housing in residence halls designated for single undergraduates. During the academic year, students who are not registered at MIT are not eligible for housing in the residence halls.

A student's eligibility for housing in approved Institute residence halls terminates at the close of his or her eighth semester registered at MIT (excluding summer terms), or upon graduation or termination of student status at MIT, whichever comes first. Terms at another institution for which a college transfer is granted MIT credit are counted towards those eight terms.

Terms on Junior Year Away, Domestic Year Away, and co-op are also counted toward those eight terms, as are any other terms during which a student is registered at MIT.

Vacancies (UG)

As a general rule, students may not occupy doubles as singles, triples as doubles, and so forth. If extra spaces are available, students may occupy rooms at the Institute’s discretion with the understanding that new residents may be assigned to the room at any time. Attempts to dissuade prospective roommates from moving in may result in lost privileges, suspension from the residence hall, additional rent charges or fines, or other disciplinary action.


Waterbeds are prohibited in any MIT residence hall or apartment building.

Weapons and Dangerous Objects

MIT prohibits in any building, space, or grounds used for Institute purposes, including in any residence hall or FSILG, or in any motor vehicle on property or vehicles used for Institute purposes, all weapons and other objects that can be used to cause physical harm, that can be used to threaten physical harm, or that, by their appearance, could reasonably be perceived as weapons or objects that could be used to cause physical harm (e.g., replica firearms). 

Illustrative examples of prohibited objects include but are not limited to:

  • shotguns, rifles, pistols, revolvers, and other firearms (including ammunition)
  • hunting knives, switchblades, swords, and other dangerous blades
  • air rifles/pistols, air-soft rifles/pistols, and b.b. guns (including ammunition)
  • bows, crossbows, and arrows
  • tasers, martial arts-type weapons, mace or pepper spray, and explosive or flammable materials (including recreational fireworks)

To read the Institute's full policy on weapons and dangerous objects, please see the Mind and Hand Book. Questions concering whether a particular object is covered by this policy, or cases for exception, may be submitted to the Chief of MIT Police or his or her designee, whose determination shall be final.