Aug 10, 2014
Aug 15, 2014
Aug 24, 2014
235 Albany Street
Cambridge, MA 02139
- furnished coed residence for 541 single graduate students
- opened in 2008
“We’re both the oldest and the newest graduate residence at MIT. We opened these doors in 2008, but as a community, we go back more than three-quarters of a century. And many of Ashdown’s traditions have become integral to other graduate residences on campus.”
Adam Berinsky and Deirdre Logan, Ashdown housemasters
|Unit Type||Approximate Size||Monthly Rent||# of Student Apartments||Description|
|3-bedroom suite||650 sf||$831/person (2013-2014)||150||
Three occupants share an apartment with one bathroom. Each occupant has a private bedroom.
|3-bedroom apt.||750 sf||$948/person (2013-2014)||96||
Three occupants share an apartment with one bathroom, a living room, and kitchen facilities. Each occupant has a private bedroom. One bedroom is on a separate level reached by stairs.
|2-bedroom apt.||660 sf.||$1,139/person (2013-2014)||90||
Two occupants share an apartment with one bathroom, a living room, and kitchen facilities. Each occupant has a private bedroom
|efficiency apt.||250 sf to 280 sf||$1,280 (2013-2014)||205||
Private apartment for one occupant with a bathroom and kitchen facilities.
Where is it?
- located in the northwest section of campus
- adjacent to Sidney-Pacific and across the street from the Warehouse
- approximately 0.5 mile walk from MIT’s main entrance at 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Only at Ashdown
Ashdown House has hosted a Thursday night coffee hour for more than 40 years. The weekly event typically draws at least 100 graduate students.
Good to know
Ashdown House features a mix of apartment- and suite-style units for one, two, or three occupants. All units in Ashdown are furnished.
- Many of the units are coed (both male and female occupants), but same-sex units are available upon request. There is no cost difference between coed and same-sex units of the same unit type.
- Each occupant of a multi-occupant unit has a private bedroom.
- Some units are accessible to persons with disabilities.
- Each bedroom is furnished with an extra-long twin-sized captain’s bed and mattress (bed linens are not provided), nightstand with drawers, wardrobe, bookcase, desk (study lamps are not provided), and desk chair.
- Units with living rooms are furnished with a love seat, two chairs, two end tables, and barstools.
- Units with kitchen facilities are furnished with a refrigerator, stove, and microwave oven (kitchen utensils and supplies are not provided).
Ashdown House is a series of connected buildings ranging from three to five stories tall surrounding two outdoor courtyard gardens with barbeque facilities. Parking spaces in the nearby Sidney-Pacific residence lot can be purchased through the MIT Parking and Transportation Office. Permits are issued on an annual basis and are subject to availability. Shared interior public spaces include:
- four lounge areas
- four kitchens
- spaces for meetings, private parties, and large events
- television lounge
- study lounges
- shared computers and printers
- music practice room with piano and music lounge with grand piano
- pool table, foosball, and table tennis
- two equipped exercise rooms
- bicycle storage room
- laundry facilities
Sustainable design features include:
- LEED-Gold Certified
- reclaimed rainwater for irrigation
- heat recovery wheels on all air handling units
- water efficient shower heads, toilets, and appliances
- building materials with high recycled content
- construction waste management and recycling during construction
- use of natural lighting to reduce the need for electric lighting