143 Albany Street
Cambridge, MA 02139
- unfurnished coed residence for 184 single graduate students
- opened in 1990
“We meet extraordinary people in the course of our academic work—from moonwalkers and deep sea divers to composers and world-class performers. One of our commitments at Edgerton House is to host informal gatherings where residents can exchange ideas with these amazing individuals.”
Pam and David Mindell, Heads of House
|Unit Type||Approximate Size||Monthly Rent||# of Student Apartments||Description|
|4-bedroom apt.||1,100 sf||$956/person (2016-2017)||20||
Four occupants share an apartment with one full bathroom, one half bathroom, a living room, and kitchen facilities. Each occupant has a private bedroom.
|3-bedroom apt.||750 sf||$1,046/person (2016-2017)||72||
Three occupants share an apartment with one bathroom, a living room, and kitchen facilities. Each occupant has a private bedroom.
|2-bedroom apt.||820 sf||$1,257/person (2016-2017)||74||
Two occupants share an apartment with one bathroom, a living room, and kitchen facilities. Each occupant has a private bedroom.
|efficiency apt.||190 sf||$1,531 (2016-2017)||2||
Private apartment for one occupant with a bathroom and kitchen facilities.
|1-bedroom apt.||585 sf||$1,870 (2016-2017)||16||
Private apartment for one occupant with a bathroom, a living room, and kitchen facilities.
Where is it?
- located in the northwest section of campus
- down the street from Ashdown House and the Warehouse
- approximately 0.3 mile walk to MIT’s main entrance at 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Only at Edgerton House
Edgerton House has a small laboratory next to the laundry room where Head of House David Mindell is building sonars for undersea research.
Edgerton House is a converted warehouse that features a range of apartment-style units for one, two, three, or four occupants. Every room in every unit is distinct. The units in Edgerton House are not furnished.
- Some three- and four-occupant units are two stories high with an internal connecting staircase.
- Three- and four-occupant units are same-sex, but two-occupant units can be coed (both male and female occupants) upon request. There is no cost difference between coed and same-sex units of the same unit type.
- Each occupant of a multi-occupant unit has a private bedroom.
- Each unit has central air conditioning.
- Some units are accessible to persons with disabilities.
- Bedrooms and living rooms are not furnished.
- All units have wall-to-wall carpeting.
- Units with kitchen facilities are furnished with a refrigerator and stove (kitchen utensils and supplies are not provided).
Edgerton House amenities
Edgerton House is a five-story converted warehouse with an enclosed outdoor courtyard and barbeque area. Shared interior public spaces include:
- small lounge areas on each floor
- large study lounge
- large lounge with big-screen television, sound system, and pool table
- music practice room
- fully-equipped exercise room