How It Works
MIT undergraduates may apply by clicking here.
If you apply by Wednesday, April 24, 2013
- You are entered into a summer housing lottery.
- You will receive notice by Wednesday, May 1, 2013 telling you if you’ve received an assignment.
- If you don’t receive an assignment, you automatically are placed on the waiting list.
If you apply after Wednesday, April 24, 2013
- You automatically are placed on the waiting list.
- Your place on the waiting list is determined by the date we receive your application.
Getting an assignment
The Housing Office will assign you to one of the available residence halls based on the preferences you indicated on the summer housing application. The House Manager of your summer residence hall will assign you to a specific room and will email your assignment to you.
Assignments are available for the following reasons:
Academically active MIT undergraduates (including students remaining at MIT for graduate school) and participants in special program like Interphase, UROP, MITES, and RSO.
MIT undergraduates who have jobs in the region related to their MIT study.
MIT undergraduates participating in department programs or special programs.
If you decide to cancel your summer housing assignment, you must do so before the cancellation deadline to avoid a fee.
- Cancel by May 10, 2013, and you will not be charged a cancellation fee.
- Cancel after May 10, 2013, but prior to the start of summer housing and you will be charged a $250.00 cancellation fee.
- Cancel after May 10, 2013, but after the start of summer housing and you will be charged a $250.00 cancellation fee in addition to full summer rental charges. Summer housing is not prorated.
Billing & Payment
Summer Housing charges will be assessed to your student account in early June. Payment in full will be due on Monday, July 1, 2013.
Policies and Procedures
Residents of Summer Housing will be responsible for abiding by all academic year policies and procedures for students and policies of the MIT Housing system.
- Moving begins on Tuesday, May 28. All summer housing residents will be required to move into their assignments no later than Thursday, May 30. The only exceptions are for students who are assigned to summer rooms occupied by graduating seniors. These students will remain in their spring assignments until Monday, June 10.
- Students with a spring 2013 assignment will remain in that assignment until the designated move-in dates for summer housing.
- Students will not be able to move into their summer housing earlier than May 28 as rooms will not be ready prior to this date
- Failure to move on these dates will result in revocation of summer housing.
- If you will be living in an undergraduate residence during fall 2013 term, you will move into your fall assignment beginning on Wednesday, August 14. All moves must be completed by Thursday, August 15 at midnight.
- If you will not be living on campus during fall 2013 term, you must check out of your summer assignment by 12:00 noon on Sunday, August 11.
- Failure to move on these dates will result in penalty including fines or revocation of remainder of summer housing.
- You are permitted to move out of your summer room assignment if traveling away from MIT prior to August 11, but you will be charged rent for the entire summer rental period. Please understand if you move out before August 11, your fall assignment will not be available to store belongings until August 14 at the earliest. We recommend you arrange for private storage of belongings if need be until your return.
Summer Storage Options
MIT students who require storage of belongings over the summer are encourage to utilize local storage facilities that provide students with a temperature controlled environment and offer insurance for belongings.
- MIT has negotiated a summer storage rate with Metropolitan Storage and Student Logistics Services. More information can be found by visiting their sites. You can find information about Metropolitan here: http://www.metstorage.com/mit_summer.htm and information about Student Logistics Services here: http://www.studentls.com. Please note that there is no drop off or pick up for belongings.