Canceling before the academic year begins
Canceling during the academic year
Cancellation before the start of the academic year
- If you have confirmed your intent to reside in an MIT residence for the upcoming academic year and you wish to cancel that assignment, you must notify Undergraduate Housing by submitting a Cancellation Form by June 15.
- Cancellations received after the deadline will be subject to a cancellation fee of $250.
- If you do not take your confirmed room assignment by 4PM on Registration Day of the fall term, you will be charged a $500 fee and your assignment will be canceled automatically.
Cancellation during the academic year
- You may cancel spring semester assignments without paying a penalty if you submit your cancellation form by December 1.
- You will be charged a fee for cancellations occurring during the term in addition to any rent charges that have accrued.
- Rent for the semester will be prorated to the day that you turn in your keys and check out of your room. (see below)
- If you cancel your housing assignment or withdraw from MIT, you must move out of your residence.
- If you leave the MIT undergraduate housing system or are assigned to undergraduate housing after the start of the term, your rent will be prorated. This means that you pay only for the days during which you are responsible for rent on the unit.
- Stays of more than two weeks will be prorated over 15 weeks of occupancy. For example, a stay of three weeks would result in a charge of one-fifth of the term rate.
- No refunds will be paid to students who leave during or after the last week of classes or who are removed from housing for disciplinary reasons.
- Contact your house manager if you have any questions regarding your housing bill.
Read more about fines.