Enter the Fall Allocation
The fall allocation is closed.
- The fall allocation process is open to those students seeking housing for the fall academic semester.
Current on-campus MIT residents are not eligible for this process unless you need to transfer between single and family housing or you have terminated your current housing prior to applying to the allocation. Students currently with non-renewable status who will be fully registered in the fall must enter the allocation to get on-campus housing in the fall.
Current single students looking to change residence halls should enter the Building-to-Building Transfer Allocation in November.
- The fall allocation application process is typically open March through early May.
- You may apply anytime between the open and close dates for the allocation. You have the same chance to receive an assignment through the allocation if you apply on the first day or the last day.
- If you missed the opportunity to apply, you may join the Waiting List which opens on July 1.
Length of Assignments Made by This Process
The length of your assignment is dependent on your status and the building to which you are assigned.
Regularly enrolled graduate students assigned to family or single graduate housing will receive an assignment through next August, with the option to renew until they graduate or cease to be registered at MIT.
Regulary enrolled graduate students with "new" status assigned to family housing will recieve an assignment through next August, with the option to renew until the following August.
Regularly enrolled graduate students with "new" status assigned to single graduate housing will receive a non-renewable assignment through next August.
Students who are assigned housing, sign a license agreement, and receive check-in information are subject to all fees/policies associated with termination of graduate housing http://housing.mit.edu/graduatefamily/moving_out.
Visitors are not eligible for the fall allocation (examples:post docs, visiting students, scientists etc.)
Information for Visitors
Visitors looking for on-campus housing should apply to the Waiting List which will open on July 1. Visitors will be allocated rooms through the waiting list only after all regularly enrolled MIT students have been accommodated. License agreements for visitors are valid through next August.
Please note that it is not always easy for visitors to find on-campus housing for late August and early September. If you need housing past next August, you should consider off-campus housing rather than applying for on-campus housing.
- Graduate students will be able to view their assignment online.
Graduate students will also be emailed their assignment if we have a valid and accurate email address on record.
- Students who decline this assignment or do not accept it bythe deadline will be charged a cancellation fee of $250.